The 1968 Les Paul™ Custom stood apart from its 1950s predecessors in a few significant ways. Instead of a solid mahogany body, it now had a solid maple top on a mahogany back - adding the clarity and bite that many rock guitarists sought.
It also came standard with two humbuckers as opposed to three, providing additional picking clearance. And lastly it had a 14-degree peghead angle for reduced string tension.
This set of features instantly became the new standard for the Les Paul Custom model, which has been produced continuously by Gibson ever since. This 1968 Les Paul Custom Reissue was designed to be the final say in historical accuracy, tone and feel.
Every detail and spec was meticulously revived by the skilled artisans at Gibson Custom Shop to provide an amazing, life-long vintage ownership experience. It features Ultra Light Aging by the skilled artisans of the Murphy Lab.
The Murphy Lab Ultra Light Aged finish treatment, paired with lightly aged hardware, simulates decades of light play wear, giving it the unique character, vibe, and feel of an original example from the Gibson Golden Era.
- Features Ultra Light Aging by the skilled artisans of the Murphy Lab.
- Certificate of Authenticity, Mounted Custom Shop Switch Plate Medallion; Reissue Switch Backplate in Case
- Custom Shop Hardshell Case
- Gibson Custom Shop is the pinnacle of craftsmanship, quality, and sound excellence. Each instrument celebrates Gibson's legacy through accuracy, authenticity and attention to detail.
- Neck Material: Solid Mahogany
- Neck Profile: Authentic '68 Medium C-Shape
- Scale Length: 24.75
- Fingerboard Material: Solid Ebony
- Fingerboard Radius: 12
- Number Of Frets: 22
- Frets: Medium-Jumbo
- Nut Material: Nylon
- Nut Width: 1.687
- End of Board Width: 2.24
- Inlays: Mother of Pearl Block
- Joint: Long Tenon, Hide Glue Fit
- Body Shape: Les Paul
- Top: 2-Piece Plain Maple
- Back: 1-Piece Mahogany
- Hardware Finish: Gold; Murphy Lab Light Aged
- Tuner Plating: Gold
- Bridge: ABR-1 (Wired)
- Tailpiece: Stop Bar
- Tuning Machines: Kluson Waffleback
- Pickguard: Black Multi-Ply
- TrussRod: 2-way Adjustable
- Truss Rod Cover: Authentic 2-Ply Les Paul Custom
- Control Knobs: Black Witch Hats with Gold Inserts
- Switch Tip: Cream
- Switchwasher: Black
- Jack Plate Cover: Black Multi-Ply
- Control Covers: Black
- Strap Buttons: Brass
- Mounting Rings: Black M69
- Pickup Covers: Authentic Profile Gold-plated Nickel Silver
- Neck Pickup: 68 Custom Humbucker
- Bridge Pickup: 68 Custom Humbucker
- Accessories: Certificate of Authenticity, Mounted Custom Shop Switch Plate Medallion; Reissue Switch Backplate in Case