A continuation of PRS’s popular HXDA amplifiers, PRS HX amps feature a refined control layout and a newly-documented “Authentic Hendrix” Touring Circuit. This circuit is heavily inspired by one of Hendrix’s personal amps, purportedly used at Woodstock, which Paul Reed Smith and PRS Amp Designer Doug Sewell were able to study in 2018.
Designed to push the high-end so it is very clear, but not so much that it’s harsh, the PRS HX shines without glaring and allows for aggression that can be backed off for smooth, sweet tones. The PRS HX 50 is driven by a pair of EL34EH power tubes, the best pre-amp tubes available, and a custom-designed Straight Edge output transformer.
The HX 50 has the documented 100 watt power supply, which makes it sound much closer to the 100 watt amplifier than a normal 50 watt amp. The power supply and filament design also make the HX 100 remarkably quiet with little to no amp “hum or hiss.”
The PRS HX 50 features a 3-band TMB tone stack, 3-way bright switch, high- mid gain switch, and presence controls. These features mirror the historic amp and give players flexibility and increased control of their tone.
The PRS HX 50 is also designed with internally bridged channels with individual volume controls. This eliminates the need for a jumper cable (historically used on the outside of the amp) and allows players to more easily dial in their distortion level and tone by blending the lead and bass channels’ individual volume controls, bringing more modern convenience to the amp.
- Available Configurations Head Only
FRONT PANEL CONTROLS
- Channel 1 Controls - Bass Volume with common Presence, Bass, Middle, Mid Gain (on/off), Treble, Lead Volume, Bright (Off, Bright 1, Bright 2)
- Channel 2 Controls - Lead Volume with common Presence, Bass, Middle, Mid Gain (on/off), Treble, Bright (Off, Bright 1, Bright 2), Bass Volume
BACK PANEL FEATURES
- Inlet Fused Power Inlet (IEC)
- Bias Adjustable
- Ohm Switching 2x4, 2x8, 1x16
- Covering Black Tolex
- Piping Black
- Output Transformer Straight Edge 50 Watt Output
- Power Tubes 2x New Sensor EL34EH
- Preamp Tubes 3x JJ ECC803S
PREAMP TUBE POSITIONS & FUNCTIONS
- V1 Input
- V2 Cathode Follower
- V3 Phase Inverter
- Amp Width 21.5"
- Amp Depth 10"
- Amp Height 10"
- Amp Weight 23.2 lbs
Watch: PRS HX Amps: The Story Behind the Design | PRS Guitars