A Faithful Reproduction With Top-Shelf Components
The WA-87 is based on a classic 60s circuit that is widely considered to be one of the greatest studio microphones ever designed. We spent countless hours trying to get even closer to the sound of the vintage version than we had with the WA-87, so the new WA-87 R2 uses top-quality components like a NOS Fairchild transistor and high-bandwidth polystyrene and film capacitors from Wima. The WA-87 R2 uses a custom-wound Cinemag USA output transformer like the original WA-87 did, with the new version providing a slightly increased output level and improved frequency response. We also employed the same capsule the WA-87 uses, which was designed to the exact specifications of the ones found in the vintage mics. The result is an incredibly accurate sonic replica of arguably the widest-used studio microphone in popular recording history!
The Most Versatile Mic In Your Locker
Just like the vintage microphone, the WA-87 R2 excels at recording virtually anything. Three polar patterns (cardioid, omni, and figure 8) make sure you’re covered for a wide variety of applications, and an 80Hz high pass filter reduces low-frequency rumble if needed. The switchable -10dB pad comes in handy when you want to record extremely loud sources and not overload the internal electronics.
The WA-87 R2 works brilliantly on vocals, drum overheads, guitars, piano, auxiliary percussion, brass, strings, and more. Not only that, it’s the same price as the original WA-87, so you can afford to have several in your mic locker!
Stunning In Sound And Appearance
The WA-87 R2 is now encased in a heavier, stronger and larger nickel-plated brass body, and the new rounded head basket shape adds additional space around the capsule for a more pleasing sonic signature. With authentic vintage warmth and a smooth detailed top end, we truly believe this mic performs on par with microphones costing five times as much or more. No matter what else you’ve got in your mic locker, the WA-87 R2 is sure to become one of your favorite go-to microphones!
- LARGE DIAPHRAGM STUDIO CONDENSER MICROPHONE, WITH A FAITHFUL
- REPRODUCTION OF THE ORIGINAL VINTAGE 87-STYLE CIRCUIT
- ALL DISCRETE PREMIUM COMPONENTS, INCLUDING A NOS FAIRCHILD TRANSISTOR AND WIMA/NICHICON CAPACITORS
- CUSTOM CINEMAG USA OUTPUT TRANSFORMER
- WA-87-B-50V CAPSULE—REPRODUCTION OF CLASSIC DUAL BACKPLATE (FOUR-WIRE TERMINATION) K87 CAPSULE
- NICKEL-PLATED BRASS BODY
- THREE POLAR PATTERNS: CARDIOID, FIGURE-OF-EIGHT, AND OMNIDIRECTIONAL
- -10DB PAD AND 80HZ HIGH PASS FILTER
- FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 20HZ – 20KHZ
- SPL: .5% THD @ 125DB (WITHOUT PAD), 132DB
- DIAPHRAGM: 6-MICRON THICKNESS, GOLD-SPUTTERED MEMBRANE, NOS MYLAR (PET FILM)
- NOISE: -117DB
- INCLUDED ACCESSORIES: WOODEN STORAGE CASE, HARD MOUNT, AND SHOCK MOUNT. (OPTIONAL FLIGHT CASE AVAILABLE)
- WEIGHT (FULLY BOXED): 6.5 LBS / 3 KG
- COLOR: BLACK FINISH
Watch: Warm Audio // Introducing the WA-87 R2 Condenser Microphone