Advances in video have made filmmaking accessible to creators everywhere. But the accessibility of professional audio devices has not kept pace. Field recorders, with essential features such as time code, have been unobtainable for most. Until now.
The F8 is made for serious filmmakers and sound designers.
With 8-input/10-track recording, super low-noise preamps, and support for 24-bit/192 kHz audio, the F8 captures the highest-quality audio.
Outfitted with our finest mic preamps to date, the F8 features an extremely low noise floor (−127 dBu EIN) and high gain (up to 75 dB), with +4 dB line inputs.
High-resolution audio and advanced limiters
The F8 can record at 24-bit/192 kHz resolution and is equipped with onboard limiters designed to provide overload protection. Limiting can be applied to all 8 channels simultaneously at full resolution, with 10dB of headroom and controls for setting threshold, attack, and release.
Time code with pinpoint accuracy
The F8’s time code is state-of-the-art. It utilizes a Temperature Compensated Crystal Oscillator (TCXO) that generates time code at 0.2 ppm accuracy, enabling rock-solid syncing of audio and video.
The F8 supports all standard dropframe and non-drop formats, and can jam sync to time code being provided by external devices. An input and output are provided on standard BNC connectors, enabling easy integration into any rig.
Weight and build
The F8 is not only versatile and feature rich, it is the smallest field recorder with eight XLR combo inputs ever made. Weighing just 2.1 pounds (without batteries), its aluminum chassis is both rugged and durable.
Sound professionals sometimes work in dusty, hard-to-see environments. Level meters with adjustable brightness and its 2.4 inch full-color backlit LCD (which can be set to monochrome mode), make the F8 easy to use in any environment — from low-light to direct sunlight.
File formats, resolution, and sample rates
The F8 records in BWF-compatible WAV format at 16 or 24-bit resolution, and at any standard sample rate up to 192 kHz. When recording files in MP3 format, you can choose bit rates of 128, 192, or 320 kbps.
Features at a glance
- 8-channel/10-track field audio recorder/mixer
- 8 discrete inputs with locking Neutrik XLR/TRS combo connectors
- Compact and lightweight aluminum chassis, weighing just 2 pounds (without batteries)
- High quality mic preamps with up to 75 dB gain, less than -127 dBu EIN, and +4 dB line inputs
- Support for up to 24-bit/192 kHz recording as well as 96 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 48 kHz, and 44.1 kHz, plus 47.952 kHz/48.048 kHz for HD video compatibility; 16-/24-bit resolution
- Accurate Time Code (0.2 ppm) I/O on standard BNC connectors; dropframe/non-drop formats with Jam Sync
- Three different power supply options: 8x AA batteries, external DC battery pack with Hirose connector, or 12V AC adapter (AA’s and DC battery pack not included)
- Automatic switching of power source from DC to batteries at user-defined voltage levels
- Dedicated gain control knob, 6-segment LED level meter, and PFL/Solo switch for each channel
- Phantom power (+48V/+24V) on every input
- Advanced onboard limiters for input and output
- High pass filter, phase invert, and Mid-Side decoder
- Input delay of up to 30 msec per channel / output delay of up to 10 frames per output
- Compatible with Zoom microphone capsules; optional extender cable enables remote positioning
- Dual mini-XLR (TA3) balanced Main Outs plus ⅛" stereo mini-jack Sub Out
- Dedicated headphone output (100mW) with front panel volume control
- 2.4" full-color backlit LCD with monochrome mode
- Dedicated PFL display with viewable trim settings
- Dual SD/SDHC/SDXC card slots, up to 512 GB each
- Records in BWF-compliant WAV or MP3 file formats
- Support for extensive metadata (BWF and iXML); input time, date, project, scene number, etc.
- Built-in slate mic/slate tone with front panel switch
- Built-in tripod mount; camera mount adapter also included
- Use as an 8-in/4-out USB audio interface (@ 96 kHz)
- Free Zoom F8 Control App for iOS allows wireless remote control, file renaming, and metadata entry