With the Zoom H2n Handy Recorder you not only get portable digital recording, you can fine tune the way you capture the audio with five microphones and four different recording modes.
Switch to X/Y, Mid-Side, 2-channel surround and 4-channel surround for the best possible results, even in such a handy device.
The Zoom H2n has an automatic gain control if you need it and onboard MS decoding and advanced effects that improve your sound when you're ready to use them, like compression, limiter and low cut EQ.
It can be used as a USB microphone as well, for direct input into your computer.
How and where can you use a Zoom H2n?
It will work great in production of video needing quality sound. It will record concerts, live music and any place people are speaking - lectures and speeches, education podcast creation, church messages - just to name a few.
THE FIVE MICROPHONES IN THE ZOOM H2n
The H2n offers not one, not two, but five built-in microphones. Two of them are arranged as an X/Y pair, while the other three are configured in an MS ("Mid-Side") pattern. They can be used separately for X/Y or MS stereo recording, or combined to create stunning 2- or 4-channel surround sound.
- X/Y for natural-sounding stereo
- The X/Y technique provides a great way to cover a wide area while still capturing sound sources in the center with clarity and definition, making it perfect for all types of live stereo recording.
- The H2n's built-in X/Y microphone provides two matched unidirectional microphones set at a 90 degree angle relative to one another, optimum for most stereo recording applications.
- Surround sound for lifelike realism
- The H2n allows you to combine the signals from both the X/Y and MS microphones in order to create surround sound recordings of everything you hear—not just those sounds coming from in front of you, but from all directions.
Use 2ch mode to create a single stereo file of the combined mics, or 4ch mode to record the signal from the H2n's X/Y mics onto one stereo track and signal from the MS mics onto another. The resulting pair of tracks can then be routed to separate speakers for an immersive listening experience or can be blended into a custom stereo track. In addition, the H2n's MS decoding feature can be used to independently alter the level of the Side signal in both 2ch and 4ch modes.
- Five built-in microphones and four recording modes: Mid-Side (MS) stereo, 90° X/Y stereo, and both 2-channel and 4-channel surround
- Analog-type input gain control
- Auto Gain provides three preset recording levels
- Stereo ⅛" Mic/Line In mini phone jack with Plug-in power (2.5V)
- Stereo ⅛" Phone/Line Output jack with dedicated volume control
- Built-in reference speaker for fast monitoring
- Large 1.8 inch backlit LCD display
- Records directly to SD and SDHC cards up to 32GB
- Supports up to 24-bit/96kHz audio in BWF-compliant WAV or a variety of MP3 formats
- Auto-record and Pre-record features
- WAV to MP3 conversion
- Internal mixdown: four-track surround to stereo
- Up to 99 marks per recording
- Built-in effects, including compression/limiting and low-cut filtering
- Onboard MS decoding
- Normalize and Divide functions
- Chromatic tuner and metronome
- Loop playback with user-defined start and stop points
- Variable playback speed, from 50% to 150% for phrase training
- Variable pitch without affecting playback speed
- USB port for data exchange to and from computer and use as a USB microphone
- 2-in/2-out USB audio interface for PC/Mac computers
- SD card reader function
- Data recovery function automatically saves data if power fails or card is removed
- Mounts directly to tripod or DSLR
- Runs on only 2 standard AA alkaline or NiMH rechargeable batteries, or AC adapter (AD-17, USB to AC type)
- Over 20 hours of operation with 2 AA alkaline batteries